Thursday, June 26, 2008

Climbing Lava Tower (or not)

Lava Tower is a 200' high outcropping of Lava rock. The climb up is very steep - with small hand and toe holds. I was on hands and feet most of the time. Keep in mind that we are at over 15,000 feet of altitude already - and it's hard to breathe while resting, let alone scrambling up a 200' cliff, holding on for dear life!





JT felt dizzy and very wisely waited this one out. Although I was scared to death, I'm glad I climbed it. It gave me confidence that I could do the climb up Baranca Wall the next day - an 800' climb with a pack on! Besides that, the views were incredible!






The pictures don't do this justice!













Those little dots in the center of this picture toward the back are our teammates in camp. Yikes - we are high up!








It's cold up here - I'm standing at the same place the above picture was taken - clouds just moved in.









Some pretty awesome scenery!








Steve, Francis & Janie up on top of Lava Tower































Coming back down wasn't any easier than going up!

1 comment: